Dyslexia is a lifelong condition that affects children making it hard for them to read. They are unable to read accurately and fluently but can understand things read to them. It can also affect many other skills such as spelling, writing, math, and reading comprehension. If you have watched the movie Taare Zameen (Shine Like a Star) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_9RFP2Rj8, you would understand perfectly how a dyslexic child behaves like. Here are some of the symptoms you should look for:
- The child is talented in drama and arts. They are good in storytelling. They appear highly intelligent and bright but have a problem in spelling and reading words expected of them at their age.
- The child has a high IQ level but scores poorly in written tests. They score highly in oral tests.
- The child often loses track of time or zones out easily when taking part in activities.
- The child might be hyperactive. Staying at one place or taking part in one activity is hard. They do not easily concentrate when given tasks.
- The teacher might observe that the child mainly grasps concepts through demonstrations, hands-on experience, visual aids, and experimentation.
- Other people might label them as being disobedient, lazy dumb, or uncooperative. This might lead to having them punished all the time making them very irritable.
- The child might have esteem issues and might also feel dumb. This is because they cannot read causing them ridicule in school.
If you suspect that your child might be dyslexic, kindly seek the help of a professional.
Photo credits : http://www.bobbirisehypnotherapy.com
Lots of Love,